About the Workshop
The XR Access Initiative, partnered with the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona to conduct a workshop on accessibility in augmented and virtual reality and 360 video at IMX 2020. It will feature papers from researchers about the best practices and solutions for designing XR technologies for people with disabilities.
Call for Presentation Proposals
At the workshop presentations will be scheduled for 30 minutes, with an additional 15 minutes for questions. Presentation proposals can focus on:
- Identifying barriers for users with disabilities
- Flexibility, adaptability, customizability of user interfaces
- Creation of accessible content – tools and methods
- I/O adaptations for diverse users
- Tools that support accessibility
- Definitions and measurement of accessibility
- Devices that enable users with their innovative hardware design
- Accessibility designed operating systems
- Applying XR to learning environments at all levels for all learners
- Image and video accessibility challenges, including AI and ML solutions
- Input modalities, such as voice, gestures and adapted switches
- Addressing neuro-diversity needs
- Speech recognition and synthesis
- Haptic technologies
- Standards and Policies
The proposals should describe or demonstrate the research and leading-edge accessibility concepts that help advance the standards for XR technologies. For example, the hardware, software, devices and content. Proposals will be judged with the following criteria:
- Does the proposal focus on theXR Access Initiative’s goals of addressing cross-platform accessibility and related infrastructure, authoring, devices, best practices, standards and content creation?
- Has the presented work been implemented in product or does it have the potential for wide-scale implementation and dissemination/distribution?
- Have the authors of the paper involved the disability community as creators, designers, developers or testers?
Upon acceptance, at least one author of each accepted paper must attend the workshop. Also all participants must register for both the workshop and for at least one day of the conference.
NOTE: This workshop will not focus on specific applications of XR to address perceived or demonstrated needs of people with disabilities. Instead it will present and promote solutions that advance the accessibility of the entire field of XR, for all users. If unsure of the applicability of your proposal, feel free to submit it and the judges will respond accordingly.
Proposals should be submitted to:
Prof Pilar Orero, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Deadline for Submission: February 16, 2020, 17:00 GMT
Notification of Acceptance: March 1, 2020
Workshop Presentations: June 17, 2020, 9:00-17:00
Questions? Email Prof Pilar Orero at <>uab.cat
“This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 761974”.